It is estimated that half of Shasta County adults have prediabetes, and most do not know it. Prediabetes is real, and if left untreated is likely to develop into Type 2 Diabetes within 5 years unless preventative action is taken. You are at higher risk if you are older than 35, overweight, not physically active, or have a family member with diabetes. The good news is, with increasing exercise and changes in diet, it can often be reversed. That is where the Shasta Family YMCA can help.
Lifestyle change programs, such as the National Diabetes Prevention Program offered through the Shasta Family YMCA, are proven to motivate and support people with prediabetes to make practical, real-life changes and cut their risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes by more than half.
Take this Quick Test to find out if you are at risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes.
By participating in the Shasta Family YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP), you will find lifestyle shifts such as getting regular physical activity, eating a variety of healthy foods and losing a modest amount of weight can cut diabetes risk and lead to a healthier way of life. The Y’s Diabetes Prevention Program is proving to be a model that can help you achieve these changes.
Our Diabetes Prevention Program is a one-year lifestyle modification program designed for adults aged 18 or older who are overweight and at high risk for type 2 diabetes. The evidence-based program supports participants to reach a healthier weight and achieve an active lifestyle to reduce diabetes risk.
- Attend 25 one-hour sessions over 12 months
- Small-group, supportive environment (8-15 people)
- Led by a trained Lifestyle Coach offering guidance and motivation
- 3 months of YMCA membership included!
The participant fee for the program is $429 after grant funding is applied (50% of the total cost of $858), and may be paid in monthly payments of $36/month. YMCA financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
To participate in the program, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 18 years or older
- Overweight (BMI ≥ 25)
- Diagnosed with prediabetes via one of three blood tests (or a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes):
- Hemoglobin A1C between 5.7%-6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose (FPG) between 100-125 mg/dL
- 2- hour plasma glucose (OGTT) between 140-199 mg/dL
- Individuals who have been diagnosed with either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes DO NOT qualify for this program.
Space is limited, call the Y's Prevention Program Coordinator at 530-768-2185 or email [email protected].